Before using NetGuard, you first need to activate it on your account. Call 1-877-393-2854 and sign-up for NetGuard with a customer service representative. You can also enable this service on your own. Log into My Execulink, select your internet connection and then options. There will be an option to enable NetGuard.
Note: NetGuard 3 is not yet supported by the Google Chrome browser.
The settings below can also be accessed via the NetGuard WebAdmin
Configuring and Adding Profiles
- Right click on the NetGuard icon in the system tray and then click Login
- Log in with your Execulink username ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) and password
- The Internet Access Status page should appear. Click on here in Click here to Manage Profiles line
- Again, use your execulink account password to log in.
- The Profile Manager screen should load. On first install there should only be a single 'default' profile'. Later you can create multiple profiles for many users, right now this guide will show you how to apply settings to the single 'default' User. To access this profile click on the profile name 'default'.
- The Modify Profile settings will appear laid out in several tabs. Click on the Categories tab and select which type of sites should be blocked
- Clicking through the folders from Adult to Advanced will let you block all kinds of content.
- Click on the Protocols tab and if prompted to save settings choose OK. From here choose the kinds of access you would like to block (File Sharing, Streaming Media, etc)
- Click on the Allow tab. From here you can enter sites that will always be allowed regardless of any other filtering options that have been setup on the other tabs. To add a site enter the website address into the 'Allow:' textbox and a comment as to why it's allowed then click 'Add'
- Click on the Deny tab. From here you can block specific sites. This is useful if you want to block a specific web site, but not the entire category that the site falls into. To deny a site enter the website address into the 'Deny:' textbox and a a comment as to why it's denied then click 'Add'
- On the left side of the window click on the Preferences link.
- Once Account Preferences loads you can setup how the profile you just configured is used. The default behavior is to prompt the user to log into NetGuard (if not logged in already) and choose a profile to use when an attempt to load a webpage is made. This is the most secure option. However if only one person uses the computer or the profile is setup to use the same rules for all users of the computer then the current profile can be used without requiring a login after rebooting. To use a single profile for all users and not require the user to login select 'Use this Profile on restart' under the 'Active Profile Settings' section.
- When you are done configuring the profile click Exit Profile Manager on the left side of the window.
- Create new profiles for additional users by following the same steps above.
Choosing a Profile
- Click on the profile name
- Enter your password (your Execulink password)
- Click continue
- Browse the internet (note the NetGuard browser window does not need to be open)