How Call Waiting works:
- A beep tone tells you another call is waiting. (Only you hear this tone).
- Another reminder will be heard 10 seconds later if the waiting call remains unanswered.
- The second caller hears only the normal ringing tone.
Incoming Long Distance vs. Local Calls:
When you have Call Waiting activated, incoming local calls will be identified with a regular ring, or a short beep if you are using the phone.
Incoming long distance calls will be identified with a distinctive long-short-short ring pattern, or a
long-short-short beep pattern if you are using the phone.
To answer the second call:
1. Press the LINK* or FLASH* button to put the first call on hold.
2. You will automatically be connected with the second caller.
To alternate between calls:
1. Press the LINK* or FLASH* button to alternate between calls.
2. Each conversation is private and cannot be heard by the other caller.
To end either call:
1. Simply hang up.
2. Your telephone will then ring.
3. When you answer it, you'll be connected with the other caller.
To cancel Call Waiting temporarily before placing a call:
1. Pick up the handset and listen for a dial tone.
2. Dial *70 on your touch tone phone. (Rotary dial customers dial 1170).
3. Listen for two beeps and dial the number you want to call.
4. Call Waiting is automatically restored when you hang up.
To cancel Call Waiting temporarily during a call:
1. Press the LINK* or FLASH* button to place your call on hold.
2. Listen for a dial tone.
3. Dial *70 on your touch tone phone. (Rotary dial customers dial 1170).
4. Listen for two beeps and you will automatically be reconnected.
5. Call Waiting is automatically restored when you hang up.
To cancel just the Long Distance tone:
1. Pick up the handset and listen for dial tone.
2. Dial *49 on our touch tone phone. (Rotary customers dial 1149).
3. The long distance signal, (a distinctive long-short-short ring pattern), will remain off, until you reverse this feature with the *49 code once again.
4. When you deactivate the long distance signal, you will continue to receive the single "beep" associated with the call waiting feature.
* If you do not have a telephone with a LINK or a FLASH button, depress the switch hook for approximately one second.
If you have a Digital Phone line with an ATA device, you can enable and disable Call Waiting on a permanent basis using star codes:
- To permanently turn off Call Waiting, dial *58 from your phone.
- To permanently turn on Call Waiting, dial *56 from your phone.