If you need to make sure you have all of your equipment properly connected, follow this guide closely and you should have very little trouble.
1. The power cord should be plugged into the modem, as well as into a wall outlet/power bar.
2. The Ethernet cord should be plugged into either the Ethernet port or the LAN port depending on the type of modem you have.
3. A phone cord, less than 6 feet in length should be plugged directly from a wall jack to the modem.
IMPORTANT: Do not have any splitters/surge protectors on the phone line, as it may interfere with your DSL connection. You should also not have a phone filter on the line that goes into the modem.
Linksys ATA Digital Phone Unit
1. The power cord should be plugged into the Linksys ATA, as well as into a wall outlet/power bar
2. The Ethernet cord from the modem should plug into the Internet port on the back of the Linksys ATA.
3. The second Ethernet cord should be plugged into the Ethernet port on the Linksys ATA and your computer/router/switch
4. A phone cord, preferably less than 6 feet long should plug into a nearby phone jack. A filter
should also be on this phone line, plugged into the Linksys ATA ("Phone 1" jack).
- Alternatively, a normal telephone can be plugged directly into the Linksys ATA ("Phone 1" jack) without a filter.
The Ethernet cord coming from the Linksys ATA's Ethernet port should plug into the next device, whether it is a computer (Ethernet port on the back), router ("Internet" or "WAN" port on the back) or switch (#1 port on the back).
NOTE: The Linksys ATA unit is set up to log on to the Internet. If you plan on using a router, do not configure that router to log onto the Internet with a username and password.
From this point, you should be able to plug a phone into any jack in the house and get a dial tone. You should also have internet access on the computer as well. If you are having issues with any of the hardware, power-cycle the equipment in sequence (modem > ATA > computer/router/switch), and allow each of them to fully start-up before plugging in the other device. If the problem persists contact technical support for further assistance.