Powercycling A Modem
To power-cycle is the act of turning a piece of equipment, like a modem, off and then on again. Quite often, most problems relating to the Internet can be solved using this method.
Some of the common problems solved by power-cycling the modem include:
- Problems browsing websites
- Occasional signal loss
- Slow connections
- Inability to connect
To power-cycle your modem, do the following:
1. If the modem has a power or on/off switch, turn the modem off.
2. Physically unplug the black power cord from the back of the modem. All of the lights on the modem should be off.
3. Leave the modem unplugged for at least 30 seconds.
4. If there is a router present, unplug the power supply to the router.
5. After 30 seconds, plug in the modem and turn it on.
6. After waiting for approximately 1-2 minutes, the lights on the modem should appear normal again.
7. If there is a router present, plug it in and turn it on.
8. Within approximately 1-2 minutes, you should be able to use the Internet again.